TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (January 18, 2016) – Tallahassee Community College's men's basketball team had its seven-game winning streak snapped by Northwest Florida State College on Saturday evening. The 81-72 defeat also halted the Eagles' 3-0 start in Panhandle Conference play.
Tuesday evening, Tallahassee welcomes Gulf Coast State College to the Bill Hebrock Eagledome, looking to bounce back from the tough loss to the Raiders.
The game, part of a doubleheader, is scheduled to tip at 7:30 p.m. Tallahassee and Gulf Coast State's women's teams will begin the evening's action at 5:30 p.m. Both games can be seen live on TCCeagles.com.
Saturday's outcome gave Northwest Florida State (4-0) sole possession of first place in the PC standings and left Tallahassee (3-1) one game back in second place. More importantly, the Eagles enter round two of league play with a one-game cushion over the third-place Commodores (2-2), only adding to the importance of Tuesday's showdown.
Win and Tallahassee embarks on a two-game road trip with a two-game lead on the rest of the pack. Lose and Tuesday's combatants will have identical 3-2 records – and it would also neutralize the Eagles' 95-81 win at Gulf Coast State on January 6.
Tallahassee has held serve at home thus far during head coach Mark White's first season, posting an 8-0 record. And White hopes a return to the friendly confines is accompanied by the Eagles' shooting stroke from long distance, which suffered through an uncharacteristic 3-for-21 performance behind the arc on Saturday.
The Eagles had made at least five three-pointers in each of their first 21 games and knocked down 11 in their previous game against Chipola College on January 9.
In Tuesday's opener, the Eagle women will try to halt a three-game losing streak, but it won't be easy.
Gulf Coast State, ranked No. 1 in the Region 8 Women's Basketball Coaches' Poll and No. 2 in the NJCAA, will be the Eagles' fourth straight opponent ranked in the top 12 nationally.
Despite a 1-3 record, each of Tallahassee's PC games – including its win over Pensacola State College – has been in doubt in the closing minutes of the fourth quarter.
On January 6 at Gulf Coast State, the Eagles trailed by only eight as late as the 5:30 mark of the fourth but eventually succumbed to the Commodores, 77-64. Tallahassee was tied with NJCAA No. 6 Chipola in the fourth quarter but lost by four points and, on Saturday, led No. 12 Northwest Florida State in the fourth quarter before falling by six.
A win on Tuesday would snap the losing streak and give Franqua Bedell a signature win on his resume as head coach. More importantly, it would keep Tallahassee closer to third place Northwest Florida State (2-2) than fifth place Pensacola State (0-4) in the league standings, where the top three teams will advance to the postseason.
General admission on Tuesday is $5. TCC students, faculty and staff will be admitted free with a valid TCC ID.
Tallahassee vs. Gulf Coast State Women's Capsule
- Tipoff: 5:30 p.m.
- Broadcast Info: TCC Eagles Live
- Records: Tallahassee (12-9, 1-3), Gulf Coast State (18-0, 4-0)
- Rankings: Tallahassee (Region 8 No. 6), Gulf Coast State (Region 8 No. 1, NJCAA No. 2)
- Head-to-Head: Gulf Coast State leads 54-8
- In Tallahassee: Gulf Coast State leads 23-6
- Current streak: Gulf Coast State has won four in a row
- This season: Gulf Coast State 77, Tallahassee 64 (1/6/16)
Tallahassee vs. Gulf Coast State Men's Capsule
- Tipoff: 7:30 p.m. (tentative)
- Broadcast Info: TCC Eagles Live
- Records: Tallahassee (14-8, 3-1), Gulf Coast State (15-7, 2-2)
- Rankings: Tallahassee (Region 8 No. 5, NJCAA RV), Gulf Coast State (Region 8 No. 8)
- Head-to-Head: Tallahassee leads 53-21
- In Tallahassee: Tallahassee leads 28-7
- Current streak: Tallahassee has won two in a row
- This season: Tallahassee 95, Gulf Coast State 81 (1/6/16)