The Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) at Tallahassee Community College is comprised of student-athletes who, working together, serve as the liaison between the student-athletes’ body and the director of athletics with the goal of enhancing the athletic experience at TCC.
SAAC meetings will provide a safe environment for members to voice concerns and/or ideas to the athletic administration, initiate group discussion, then develop an action plan.
Participation on the SAAC provides leadership opportunities through the following:
- Advocate on behalf of all student-athletes;
- Collaborate with other student clubs and organizations to promote and enhance campus engagement at all student activities and events;
- Discuss ways in which the student-athlete experience may be improved and how to achieve proper balance between athletic, academic and life experiences;
- Participate in TCC’s Student Government Association (SGA) meetings;
- Plan and promote volunteer and service opportunities for all student-athletes;
- Serve as the lead planning team for TCC Athletics’ end-of-year banquet;
- Coordinate outreach efforts during the following year’s New Student Orientation;
- Participate in the following year’s Student-Athlete Orientation (rising second-year participants); and
- Promote a positive student-athlete image
- The SAAC will be comprised of the following:
- Director of Athletics
- Two student-athletes from each team (one first-year participant, one second-year participant)
- Members are recommended by the respective head coach and:
- Must be academically eligible for participation in intercollegiate athletics (student-athletes who become academically ineligible will not be allowed to continue participating with SAAC)
- Must be submitted on eligibility and maintain athletic status with his/her team (student-athletes who are dismissed from his/her team or quit the team will not be allowed to continue participating with SAAC)
- Election of officers will take place at the first meeting of the academic year
- The President and Vice President should have at least one year’s service on the SAAC
- Officers may be removed by the director of athletics for conduct detrimental to the SAAC or Tallahassee Community College Athletics
- Role of SAAC officers
- Preside over and set agenda for SAAC meetings, in conjunction with the director of athletics
- Serve as spokesperson for the SAAC and address the director of athletics, coaches and student-athletes, when needed
- Vice President
- Serve as an assistant to the President
- Fulfill the role of President in the event of his/her absence
- Coordinate outreach efforts for the athletic department, both internally (at TCC) and externally (in the community)
- Take accurate minutes at SAAC meetings and disseminate them via e-mail to all SAAC members and the director of athletics
- Disseminate necessary information to SAAC, the athletic department and student body
- Develop a contact sheet for the SAAC and distribute to all SAAC members and the director of athletics. The contact sheet should include name, sports, address during the academic year, cell phone number, e-mail address and Twitter handle (if applicable).
- SGA representatives (one from men’s/women’s basketball; one from baseball/softball)
- Attend SGA meetings as representatives of the athletic department
- Report on SGA matters at SAAC meetings
- Meetings will take place on a monthly basis during the academic year. Additional meetings may be called at the discretion of the director of athletics or SAAC president.
- Attendance is required. Absences are excused only for documented emergencies, athletic participation or preapproval by the director of athletics.
- If a member is going to be absent from a meeting, he/she should inform the director of athletics prior to the meeting.
- Two unexcused absences will result in dismissal from the SAAC and a request for a new team representative.
- Regularly scheduled SAAC meetings are considered “open.” Student-athletes, coaches, administrators, staff and members of the campus community are welcome to attend “open” meetings.
2015-16 Student-Athlete Advisory Committee Members
President: Kyle Taddeo, sophomore, baseball
Vice-President: Rion Murrah, sophomore, baseball
Secretary: Stavian Allen, sophomore, men's basketball
- Alex Cook, sophomore, softball
- Casey Durham, freshman, softball
- Julianne Gillo, sophomore, softball
- Chase Hahnemann, freshman, baseball
- Janessa Murphy, freshman, women's basketball
- Jahvaughn Powell, sophomore, men's basketball
- David Simmons, freshman, men's basketball
- Aryn Tarver, sophomore, women's basketball
- Lawriell Wilson, freshman, women's basketball
Advisor: Rob Chaney, director of athletics